Thursday, March 24, 2011

Help Out

I'm not going to run ads regularly (not for a year of solid blogging at least), but there are three things that are important to me right now, and I'd like to take this opportunity to share them with my followers.

First of all, I'm a nuclear engineer, and Japan's devastating quakenami is pretty much going to destroy the already drowning nuclear industry.  That news aside, there are people associated with the disaster that need all kinds of help (most of which is NOT nuclear related).  If you are looking to help, I'd recommend two places.  Either donate to the American Nuclear Society (fund specifically for workers at the plant) or the American Red Cross (though I urge you to donate to the general fund, and not request the money be Japan specific, but any help anywhere is appreciated).


Secondly, Annie's darling sister just graduated photography school and is now trying to survive as an artist in Los Angeles.  I know, first hand, how difficult it is to scrape by in L.A.  I can't imagine what it's like for someone starting in the arts.  If you have any interest in photography, and you wanna help her out, you can check out her online webstore by clicking on my favorite pic of hers.  (She has a 10% discount code on her blog, if you're interested.)

Finally, yesterday I received an email celebrating my 5th year anniversary on the National Marrow Donor Program donor list.  I've never donated, but I've been available to for 5 years now!  This morning, while at work, a co-worker was talking about his son's rare disease and the registry drive they just had in hope of finding a donor for him.  It was the first time that marrow donations hit home, so I feel compelled to ask for more people to try and get on the list.  Of all the ads on this post, this doesn't cost you anything!


I hope you aren't too put off by these ads.  I'll publish a real blog post this evening regarding March Madness.  If you are able to help out, I'd love to hear about it!

Karma like this helps make up for everything awful I say... except not even close,
~RoB

No comments:

Post a Comment