Thursday, July 12, 2012

Car Commercials

Never watched it...
Seriously, am I the only person who doesn't want a car that fishtails anytime shit gets serious?  It seems like that's every car commercial these days:  a car Tokyo Drifting (or power sliding, whatever the hell that means) through random-ass scenes.  Give me a stable car that's not going to slide or flip, and we've got a deal.



Why can't car ads be geared more toward the ones that convinced me to get my car:  the 2007 Dodge Caliber.  Go America!


Just like my car, I'm anything but cute,
~RoB

2 comments:

  1. I have a bit on an inside perspective on this, being in the industry. Cars that are seen as "exciting" sell better because the boring people who are buying them know they're boring and want to compensate, even though they'll never drive the car like that. In fact, when they film those commercials, they turn off a lot of the systems in the car specifically to allow it to do things like that. I can pretty much guarantee you couldn't pull off any of those maneuvers with a stock Benz/Acura/BMW.

    Also, I would say that if you are into the Caliber and it's marketing campaign, you are not the target market for MB/Acura/BMW. They're looking for midlife crisis-ers and trophy wives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every one of those points is totally valid, except one: I'm a trophy husband. More technically, a trophy domestic partner. Just one of those pathetic trophies that you buy for yourself and have etched for yourself at the local sporting goods store.

      Anyway, thanks for the insight. I'm definitely not part of that market, cuz I was raised in the religion of The Big 3, and I was sworn to always buy one of those, or be called a 'rice burner' by my entire family.

      Delete