Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

New Year's Resolutions are stupid.  I can't think of a single one that I've stuck to.  Here is my list of 3 simple NYRs for 2010 (which I posted in a note on Facebook in December 2009):
1. Put my clean laundry away the same day that I do it.
2. Six day work weeks at school.
3. Do not charge anything to credit cards.
Each of these, individually, could really help my life. If I manage to do all three, I should be a clean, debt-free Dr. Rob in no time at all!
I honestly don't think I succeeded at any of those through the entire month of January.  I had charged things by January 15th.  I started living out of my laundry basket after my birthday (February 15th), and I dropped out of school in December...

I think NYRs are so stupid that I didn't even attempt them in 2011, but I will try them again now.  Since Schoolhouse Rock taught me that 3 is the magic number, here goes:
  1. Blog at least twice a month.  (Or give up blogging entirely.  There's really only one or the other at this point.)
  2. Save 10% of the money that I make.  (I've tried this several times throughout my life, and I've failed miserably every time.  I'm genetically trained to live paycheck-to-paycheck.  However, I have to start learning to save, or I'll have to work until I die.)
  3. Find a job where I'm making a significant portion of the household income.  (I've had a sweet deal with Annie for a while.  I think she's had enough of it.  She hasn't complained once, but I think she's ready to share finances instead of being solely responsible for them.)
So, here goes.  We'll know by January 15th if I've failed the first one...


It's amazing how much that single video has stuck with me my whole life,
~RoB

No comments:

Post a Comment