Tuesday, November 12, 2013

National Anthem

I love singers. That should be clear. However, I don't feel like the National Anthem is the time for a solo singer to shine. It should be a time for all of us to sing, in camaraderie. Much to Annie's chagrin, I (at least softly, or lip-sync) sing it every time we're at a sporting event.

Don't get me wrong, Mariah's Super Bowl Anthem was amazing:
"free" was so high that my TV didn't make a sound back then

And even that wasn't as good as Whitney's:
This was the first time that a recording of our Anthem made the Top 10 singles charts and went Platinum.
It's re-release in 2001 became Whitney's last Top 10 hit.

Regardless, I find this to be way more inspiring:


It should be about America. It should not be about riffs, runs, and jazz. Also, it's pregame. We want to give the Anthem a little fanfare, but we paid to watch the sport. An old Navy singer did the whole Anthem in under a minute before a volleyball game once. Now, that's an American!

On a side note, I have two extremely memorable SSB incidents. The first: I was conducted by John Williams as a member of the Michigan Marching Band when we performed his version of the Anthem at the 2004 Rose Bowl. The real cannons almost caused me to shit my pants. Secondly: upon walking into a Michigan soccer game, I immediately dodged into a port-a-potty to relieve myself. As I was in there, the Anthem started. In front of a growing group of people who were entering, who had all stopped to pay their respects, I had to step out of the john and stand in front of it in order to participate in the group's nationalism. Trust me, it was aw-w-w-wkward.

'merica,
~RoB

No comments:

Post a Comment