Friday, November 1, 2013

A Month of Something (Probably Failure)

I tend not to finish things. My PhD. My new year's resolutions. Folding the laundry.
Heck, I rarely follow through with anything. A full-time job... Weight lifting....

Two years ago, I attempted NaNoWriMo. So did Annie. I made it through half of the month on track to actually finish my novel by the end of November. About that same time, on a flight to Michigan, I allowed Annie to read what I had written so far. She wasn't blown away, so I used that as an excuse to stop. I didn't really know how I was going to continue, and quitting seemed easiest.

Well, Annie is going to attempt NaNoWriMo again this year. The premise for her story is the best that either of us have come up with since we started discussing writing stories. I didn't have any real inspiration to attempt the novel-writing business again, so I told her I would NaBloWriMo, just a month late. That's where you write a blog post every day for a month. I wasn't necessarily going to only write on this blog, but any blog that I write, as long as I did a post that day, I was going to count it toward my goal.

Then, out of nowhere , everybody hopped on the Facebook Plank Train in an attempt to build core muscle. There was a viral post that took you from a 20-second plank to a 4-minute plank in just 30 days. So I agreed to do that, too. RobPlankHoldMo?

She has nipples...

Then, last night, only 8 kids showed up to Trick-or-Treat, which resulted in me eating way too much candy. That, combined with the fact that my shift got cut at the winery today, led me to blowing off steam by toying around with C# / XNA, thanks to the current class that I'm taking on Coursera. I finally hit the sack around midnight, but I woke up with programming ideas floating around in my head like seasonally-early sugar plum fairies. So, I returned to the tinkering I had done the night before, and wound up with this:



That's right, RobProWriMo. A month of developing my own game, for the hell of it.

Overwhelmed yet? I am.

NaBloWriMo is probably the one that I'm least inspired by right now, but I think Annie will 'inspire' me (yell at me for being lame).

I can't wait to fail four more things,
~RoB

P.S. I know y'all missed this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment