Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My First Concert

I've been to a few orchestra concerts and several operas.  I've been to numerous musicals and one play.  Yet, I've only gone to two concerts in my life, and I only paid for one of them.  This is kind of ridiculous if you consider how much I enjoy music, and how obsessed I am with some artists:  Boyz II Men, Gloria Estefan, Whitney, etc.  Concerts just always cost a lot of money; money that I don't have.  I've also always been into sleeping.  Late nights rarely sound worthwhile.  So, I never went.

My first concert (though I don't count it) was actually a Ludacris concert.  It really was ludicrous!  My roommate designed the posters for the concert when Luda came to play at Hill Auditorium, on campus at Michigan.  As a musician (though not super talented) growing up in Michigan, Hill Auditorium had long been considered an altar to me.  Well known for its amazing acoustics, and graced by the music of greats like Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, and Wynton Marsalis.  Then, all these homies busted in and yelled, "Throw your middle fingers in the air if you like hip hop!!!!"

It was immediately apparent that I did not fit in there.  Let's be real.  My roommate and I, both awkward, pasty white guys, were sitting in the center of the 5th row of a Ludacris concert.  I don't know the most appropriate way to tell you how African American it was up in there.  We survived, and I found out that I knew like every Ludacris song there ever was, and I actually kind of had fun, but it was random and I went for free.


Last night was what I'm going to consider my first real concert.  Why?  I had legitimate interest in the artist(s), I paid to see them, and one of my friends is the rock star drummer.  Those around Ann Arbor while I was there are probably familiar with Tally Hall.  They gained some local fame, started selling albums, went on tour, and the drummer (whom I met through marching band, and he dated another friend of mine) eventually dropped out to try out the whole rock star thing.  Annie had a bunch of their music from purchasing their old CDs, and one of our mutual friends is Tally Hall's #1 crazy, insane fans.  Anyway, their most recent tour brought them to San Francisco last night.  I'd never really been to a concert, especially one that felt so indie, so I agreed to go.


As it turns out, I was really impressed by Tally Hall.  The venue made me feel a little old, though.  The concert was 'all ages', and the number of black Xs on minor hands were uncountable.  I felt like I was straight out of a scene from Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist.  There were references to Chelsea Clinton, a cover of Biz Markie, and a cover of another 80s euro rock song that I can't think of right now.  All I kept thinking is, these kids don't even know that these are references/covers to things before they were born or at least before they were paying attention.  Anyway, Tally Hall music was really interesting (no, not cynical interesting, but for realz).  I see no reason why I shouldn't add all their music to my playlists.

Tally Hall in San Francisco

Afterward, our friend came out and talked to us.  He had to keep interrupting his stories to turn around and take pictures and sign autographs and accept gifts.  (How fucking ridiculous is it to get gifts from fans?!  Nobody brings my ass gifts while I'm working.  It was almost as crazy as Halloween with El Chavo del Ocho.)  We were out really late at a bar/concert on a Monday night, and there must be pictures somewhere to prove it.  I feel like the rock star.

In the middle of his autograph signing, I jokingly asked him to sign my tits while I pretended to start unbuttoning my shirt.  No less than 2 minutes later, another Michigan person walked up and used the same line.  It made me upset at the stunted creativity of our generation.  It also made me think of David Sedaris pointing out the same thing when he read a sign in a joke shop not to hold the fake eyeballs up to your face (after thinking to himself that it would be funny).  Humans are so pathetically predictable.

Regardless, I'm such a rock star,
~RoB

No comments:

Post a Comment