Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Voice > American Idol Seasons 5+

So, last night Javier Colon won the inaugural season of The Voice on NBC.  This is significant for many reasons.

First of all, I called it.  I wasn't the only one, but it was clear to me that he was a solid finalist the moment he first sang Time After Time in the blind auditions.  After he sang Angel, I told everyone that he would win.  A few weeks later, it turns out I was right.  That hasn't happened since Carrie Underwood in Season 4 of American Idol.

Secondly, the most talented and deserving singer won the singing competition.  I feel like it would be more appropriate to point out that the least talented singer did not win.  That hasn't happened in American Idol in years.  Kelly Clarkson was the clear winner.  As was Carrie Underwood.  Fantasia was debatable, but I love her after her role in Broadway's Color Purple.  Ruben is a big teddy bear, but that was the first year where the runner-up had overwhelmingly more success.  Ever since Carrie, the Season 4 winner, and the onset of movements like Vote for the Worst, things have been a mess.  Look at the last 6 AI winners:

Seriously, which white guy here matters?
Now look at some of the unbelievable voices all the awkward white guys above (and Jordin) had to 'beat' in the ears of America to win:

I believe that, vocally, every lady shown above is better than every single American Idol winner since Season 4.  I left off some honorable mentions, because they weren't rock solid vocalists, like Blake Lewis and David Archuleta (that season was rough).  I didn't watch more than a few minutes of this season, so I can't really defend anybody's ability, other than discrediting the winner.  Annie and I started boycotting this season as soon as Simon left, especially after we heard there was going to be immunity-winning challenges and other crap like that.

Anyway, I was really happy with The Voice, as a whole.  As happy as I was with both seasons of the Sing Off.  I hope it returns, and I hope America continues to make the right decisions.  Though, Dia Frampton did get scary close just for being cute.

Thank you, NBC, for helping me fill the void in my soul that American Idol left when it got all shitty,
~RoB

No comments:

Post a Comment