Friday, February 11, 2011

Country Remedies

I've had a sore throat for two weeks or so.  A few days had some coughs, my chest has felt congested, only a day or two of sniffles/headaches, but mostly a sore throat.  I've tried a bunch of things: Mucinex, Nyquil, Motrin, Advil Cold & Sinus, Halls, Tea, Cold Water, Wine, etc.  Nothing has rid me of the damn sore throat yet.

The other day, all I wanted was what my parents used to do for my sore throat.  Onion juice.  I don't even know how they made it, but I used to wake up in the middle of the night and beg for it to help me stop coughing.  I always wanted it immediately, but it took them a while to put it together.  Looking back, I think it was just onion and sugar, but I honestly have no clue where it came from or how they came up with it.  It always worked!

Soon after I got to thinking about this old, country remedy, I thought about how I've despised onions until recently.  I really like them now and add them to everything, but I wonder if I used to associate onions with sickness, and that's why I never liked them.  Just a theory.

I vaguely remember there being a book or two about country remedies in the mess under my microwave stand.

Anybody know what's in onion juice?  Anybody else want to share a country remedy?
~RoB

No comments:

Post a Comment